Tuesday, January 19, 2016

HOW DID I CONTROL MY ANGER?

Hi friends,

In 1972, I was 27 not married. I used to go to the office from T.Nagar by bus route 29B to Perambur in Madras. My friend Koti, from Ashok Nagar, used to join me. Whoever came first, reserved a seat for the other. We had a nice journey for 45 minutes.

Koti used to have tea in a tea stall. I went along with him for company. He used to take tea both in the morning and evening. The tea was 10 paise per cup. I did not have it as I did not like to take on roadside shops.

One day, while having his tea, he vomited blood.  I was scared, shocked, and clueless. I seated him on a bench. I cleaned the bloodstains from his face, shirt, and pant with water. I washed the cup and settled the bill. He looked weak, tired, and broken.

I consoled him. I took him to the company's dispensary. Dr Prasad said he had high blood pressure. He was lucky to get the haemorrhage in his nose. He was admitted to GH and he took medicines permanently thereafter.

I was worried as anger was born with me. Friends did not stay for long. How to lead a happy married life? I needed a change in my attitude. I remember how I lost my first job. I just told my boss to mind his business when he poked his nose in my business.

I knew Agasthiar temple in T.Nagar. I never had the habit of visiting temples. That evening, I went to that temple. It was so nice, calm, and peaceful. There was our family deity, Sri Valli DevaSena Subramanya Swami, and a VILVAM tree near the entrance.

I prayed and finally sat under the Vilvam tree. I was so overwhelmed and decided to visit the temple daily to pray.  I took a wow that, I shall do so for one year without break and if successful, I shall visit Tirupathi and tonsure my head as my offering.

Whether it was rain or shine, I never missed visiting. I missed cinemas, friends, beaches, etc to fulfil my wow. I sat under the Vilvam tree and chanted Gayathri Mantra 108 times. Chanting the mantra I concentrated on the Lord. I started controlling myself.

I read Paramacharya's "Deivathin Kural", Swami Parthasarathy's "Vedanta Treatise", Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people" and "How to stop worrying and start living.", Norman Vincent Peele's "The power of positive thinking."

I learned to question and to find fault with myself. I looked at things from others' perspectives. I realized that others were also correct in their views. Everyone was right in his justification. Arguments did not win hearts. I learned to accept and adjust to others.

I could feel the change in me. It would take time to become pious. God will show the way. To shun anger is not that easy. One has to sincerely try and you will succeed. After one year, I did not forget to visit Tirupathi Hills.

I followed four mantras to control anger. 1. Talk consciously. 2. Do not argue. 3. Do not advise unless asked for. 4. Stop at the Lakshman Rekha. My anger had gone. My hair had gone. Both to the Lord.  MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

4 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. vidya anand
    4:41 PM (17 hours ago)

    to me
    Dear Mama

    Thanks for such a thought provoking advice. Once man conquers anger and jealousy... He truly evolves to a higher level.

    Your determination to go to the temple is impressive. I go to Agasthiar kovil on and off. Now each time I go I will look at the vilvam tree and remember you :).

    I will try my best to follow what you have said. The only time I am not sure I can do it is when I deal with Amrut and Akhil :(

    Take care

    Vidu

    ReplyDelete

  4. Vijayalakshmi B
    Jan 19 (2 days ago)

    to me
    Dear Anna ,
    It is really interesting to know about your past , and your feelings. Hmmm .. let it continue....Viji

    ReplyDelete