Thursday, February 18, 2016

MY DAUGHTER WANTED TO KILL ME

Hi friends,

It is not my intention to teach you about the benefits of eating vegetables. It is about an incident in my life about eating vegetables. We learn only from such incidents. My father used to insist on eating vegetables. Due to a large family, he bought more quantities of cheaper varieties.


Whereas, I was buying different varieties irrespective of the prices. I also insisted on my children eat more vegetables. But as usual, they were only choosy. They did not understand but ate as per their taste. Hence there was a misunderstanding as the mother was always supporting them.


The father gave importance to intelligence and the mother to hunger. Hence children worshipped the mother and not the father. Some even hated the father for his strict rules and regulations. The father's job was a thankless one but the mother was held in high esteem.


We followed certain strict rules regarding food in our home. 1. There should be no wastage.  2. There should be no carryover for the next day. 3.  Everyone should eat all items equally without giving any preference. 4. All should eat together at the specified time whenever possible.


Vegetables were cooked as per their shelf life. The cabbage was the last but one before the potato. I went to buy vegetables on potato day. On one cabbage day, when we were dining together, I saw my daughter was resisting her mother when she served cabbage. 


When I asked her, she said she did not like its smell and felt like vomiting. I told her its benefits and how good it was for the heart.  I then thought if my daughter got used to it, she would start liking it. So on the next day, I bought 6 to 7 kgs, of cabbage only which would last for a week, 


My daughter was cursing me all through the week. This happened when she was doing Engineering but not as a child. Later, she got married and had two kids. When her son was 7, I visited their house. I was reading a book in the bedroom. I heard my daughter and son-in-law arguing.


While eating, her son was rejecting some items. She was compelling him to eat. The son-in-law was telling her to allow him to eat whatever he liked. She said he should not be choosy and he should eat all vegetables. She also narrated the incident when she was forced to eat cabbage.


My son-in-law asked her what she thought about her father then. Her reply was the beauty of life. She said, "THEN I WANTED TO KILL MY FATHER. NOW I FEEL HOW GREAT HE WAS" Lying on the bed,  I was just smiling like Mona Lisa feeling contended.


Do your duty as a father without bothering about the results.

1 comment :

  1. When I was young, I used to eat only the veggies that I liked (like most kids do). I would not even taste the ones I did not like. Now I relish and eat what I like; and I eat what I do not like (without relishing). Sign of age and maturity

    ReplyDelete