Friday, April 28, 2017

IN HIS FOOTSTEPS

Hi friends,


In spite of his financial constraints, my father was buying a newspaper in English. Though he was not highly educated, his knowledge of the language,  political acumen, and social issues was of a high standard. He had impeccable handwriting and I wanted to emulate his signature.


The Indian Express used to publish Tarzan stories daily on the last page. When I was young, as soon as the paper arrived, I grabbed it and took it to my father to tell me the story. Most of the time he told me the story but at times he scolded me and asked me to read and understand on my own.


I was good at Tamil but I was very poor in English. It depended on the learning in the school days. If the foundation is good the building is good. For acquiring knowledge, the school is important, the teacher is important and your intelligence is important. I missed all three.


The deficiency in the learning comes to the fore only in the latter days while you face life situations. Time does not stop and it moves on. I married and settled in life. But my English language did not improve. My senior in the office used to correct all my letters with red ink without mercy.


Once, my parents came to stay with us for some time. One day after morning coffee, my father asked me for the newspaper. I was not buying the newspaper since I went to the office early in the morning and as I read the paper in the office library during lunchtime, and also to save money.


I told my daughter to get the paper from the opposite house. My father scolded me with harsh words. He said, "are you not ashamed to borrow from another person. If you do not have money, I will give you. Go and get it from the shop." I never stopped buying paper thereafter.


Whenever I wrote letters to my parents I wrote only in chaste Tamil. The reasons are 1. I could not write in English 2. My mother did not know English. But my father insisted to write in English or else he would not read my letters. Despite my best efforts, I could not fulfil his wish.


When he was with me and in a good mood, he used to tell me how he developed his English language. He asked me to read the "letters to the editor" column in "The Hindu" daily without fail whether I understood it or not. I took his advice seriously and started reading the col daily.


It is the best source to improve one's language. It gives practical knowledge. Many people with different qualifications, experience and knowledge contribute their best on different topics in different styles. Regular reading gives exposure to the nuances of writing good English. I gained confidence which was important. 


My senior appreciated me. I introduced a new style of writing business letters. Usually, they started "with ref to your letter dated" which I changed to "We thank you for your letter dated" and "we hereby inform you" was changed to "we are pleased to inform you". I started reading good books and closely observed their style.


What I know is just a drop in the ocean. The English language is boundless. I have not mastered the subject. Everyone has his own style. There are writers whose writing I don't understand even two words. So bombastic. I love the simple way which is easy for the common man to learn. MAY GOD BLESS YOU. 


No comments :

Post a Comment