Monday, April 24, 2017

THIS LETTER IS 54 YEARS OLD

Hi friends,


In 1963, I did my 1st-year degree in S. Joseph's Tiruchy. Rev.Fr, Mathias was the principal. To help my father and to stand on my own legs, I wanted to take up a part-time job in the evening. The principal was well known to me. I requested him a recommendation letter which he gladly obliged.


I was able to secure an accounts job. The timing was 4 to 6 in the evening after college, Monday through Friday and the salary was about Rs.50 per month and I learned accounting knowledge. I was able to meet my college fees and other expenses. My father did not like it but said nothing against.


After passing plus 2, a student had to prepare for the entrance exam for professional courses. The admission into Arts colleges was done early. So there was huge demand for Arts colleges. When the admission results for professional courses were declared, then there was an exodus from Arts colleges.


In 1993, my daughter passed her plus two. I wanted to admit her to a good college. In Chennai, there were a number of women's colleges like Ethiraj, Stella Maris, WCC, MOP Vaishnav, etc. She preferred Stella Maris. We had to meet the principal with the application to get her admission.


Every day, we used to go to the college at 6 AM to get the token and to stand in the queue to meet the principal. They gave only 35 tokens per day. Being a minority institution for Christians, it was difficult to get admission for forward community even if you have scored high marks.


We went early for a few days but the principal Sr. Annamma Philip was not open to give her admission. So I was doubtful. To try my luck, I decided to take the recommendation letter given to me by Fr.Mathias in 1963, who was well known as a great Jesuit administrator.


That day, we got token number 3 and went inside the principal's room to meet her. I told her, I was a student of St.Joseph's Tiruchy and showed her the letter given by Fr.Mathias. She wondered why I preserved that letter for 30 years and she gave my daughter admission at once.


After 4 years, I wanted to admit my son in Loyola, Chennai. It was also a minority institution. We could not meet the principal Fr.Dass. Finally, we met him and I again showed him the letter given by Fr.Mathias. He also wondered I was preserving it for 34 years and gave my son admission.


I still have the letter with me for 54 years and it may be even useful one day for the admission of my grandchildren also. MAY GOD BLESS YOU.




No comments :

Post a Comment